Sober living is a type of living or lifestyle that is free from any substance use and abuse, including drugs, alcohol, and nicotine. Sober, referring to sobriety or the state of not having any measurable levels or effects from mood-altering drugs, is often the term used in describing a peaceful, calm, and clean condition.
While sober living is obviously the better choice between that and a drug-controlled life, many people are still risking their life by abusing and overusing drugs and other addictive substances. If you are one of the people who think that there is an advantage in substance abuse, you should read the following and learn why sober living is important.
- Sober living is good to your overall health – physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. If you are living a clean lifestyle, you wouldn’t catch diseases or suffer from bad health conditions as fast as those whose body is imprisoned by the negative power of drugs and alcohol.
- It can lengthen your life. Studies show that drug users, alcoholics, and smokers die earlier than normal people because their body starts to malfunction when they use illegal substances.
- It enhances mental abilities such as clear thinking, sound decision making, communication skills, problem solving, art appreciation and many more. When you are living a sober life, you can think clear and understand well. Furthermore, it retains peace of mind.
- It keeps you going everyday, allowing you to work properly, take care of your family, reach your dreams, and simply enjoy life. When problems arise, you would know how to handle them because your mental and emotional states are not blocked by any mind-altering substance.
- It helps you connect with people. You start to build new relationships and maintain existing ones. On the other hand, if you are controlled by the power of drugs, people may tend to avoid you.
It is every youth and adult’s goal then to attain sober living and not be imprisoned by substance abuse.